August 29th, 2017 9:09 PM by Dan Howard
The issue of needing healthy classrooms concerns most of us. They are
essential for quality comprehension and education as well the welfare of your
One of many examples is lead poisoning. The ingestion of lead from peeling paint
affects the soft tissue of a child. It can permanently affect the IQ of a child
and cause behavioral problems that affect them the rest of their life.
Ingestion can be secondary from hidden causes. It could be dust from the paint
in the closet where classroom books are stored over the summer. Lead dust can
come from peeling paint scrapings when a cafeteria is painted or on china
plates used to serve lunches. The source can be imported plastic toys in a
kindergarten. There are a host of other potential issues including pesticide
residues, radon, fumes from idling buses, mold, CO or CO2.
We know that there are classrooms and school buildings that are
making our children sick. Parents and teachers often do not know where to start
to identify or correct the situation.
That is nothing new. We tend to think that today’s problem is a new problem,
and often it isn’t. The quote below “says it all” in that regard.
“In the construction of buildings, whether for public purposes or as
dwellings, care should be taken to provide good ventilation and plenty of
sunlight….schoolrooms are often faulty in this respect. Neglect of proper
ventilation is responsible for much of the drowsiness and dullness that….make
the teacher’s work toilsome and ineffective.”
-Health Reformer, 1871