Environmental Issue & Sick Building Syndrome Blog

The Story Behind the Many Fires and Carbon Monoxide Problems This Spring

March 30th, 2014 9:13 PM by Dan Howard

                You probably have noticed that there have been a lot of fires and carbon monoxide problems in the news lately. This is fairly common in November, but not usually in the spring. The long winter and extreme cold has been tough on budgets, furnaces and  chimneys. Some of these were caused by improper space heater use to reduce fuel bills.


                The extra wear this year can loosen mortar in brick chimneys and cause holes in metal chimneys.  Birds and animals falling into chimneys while trying to stay warm is another source of blockage. Any of these can result in carbon monoxide staying in the home instead of going up the chimney.       


                The same problem can occur with blocked clothes dryer vents.  Whether it is lint or animals trying to stay warm blocking those vents, they can be source of fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. Blocked dryer vents are also a major cause of dryer heaters overheating and failing. I can tell you personally a partially blocked dryer vent can result in a $200.00 repair bill for heater element replacement
Posted in:General
Posted by Dan Howard on March 30th, 2014 9:13 PM



My Favorite Blogs:

Sites That Link to This Blog: